Re: (erielack) I hope there were two tracks then

- --- Philip Martin <martinpl3_@_earthlink.net> wrote:
> We need an employee timetable, showing any speed restrictions in effect
> for wooden, open platform cars.  While you're at it, if you could look
> up one for 1845, it might be germaine.  For most people, that would be
> impossible; but when it comes to railroading, I know you can do it.

No gotz.  However, the June 1868 Travelers Official Railway Guide
(considered the first issue of the Official Guide to the Railways) was
reprinted as a pocket book in 1968 to observe its centennial and I have
THAT.  The Morris & Essex Railway appears on page 92.

Sample trip times between Hoboken and Morristown, milepost 30:

Time           Route                        Average speed, mph
 85 minutes    Local to Morristown          21
 78            Express to Easton, PA.       23
 88            Local to Hackettstown        20.5
 96            Accommodation to Morristown  18.75
 77            Express to Easton            23 mph
101            Accommodation to Dover       18.8
 90            Mail to Easton               20

Bear in mind that these trains carried more than passengers and often made
prolonged station stops for other business: mail, express packages, etc.
The accommodation trains were basically local freight less-than-car-load
trains that unloaded and loaded cargo at every station and took passengers
along as a "convenience" to those willing to ride them.

Eastbound times varied between 75 and 100 minutes.

What does it mean anyway?  Probably that these trains didn't exceed 40 mph
in their travels and spent a lot of time in stations.  The steam engines
of this era didn't accelerate very rapidly, even with short trains of ligh
wooden cars.  The M&E was built with lots of curves, some of which were
later straightened (Chatham to Madison and near NJ 10 in Morris Plains,
both areas show parts of the original right-of-way).

The M&E was NOT the Water Level Route or the Broad Way...

Gary R. Kazin

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey