Re: (erielack) I hope there were two tracks then

Close.

I have the Hill Press reprint of an 1897 public timetable.

It took 97 minutes from Dover to Hoboken, making three stops east of
Summit.  It was 41 miles via Rockaway back then.  AVERAGE speed, 25.4 mph.
 As now, they had to go faster than that to make the average.  An express
from Summit to Hoboken (stop at Newark) was 34 minutes for 20 miles or 35
mph, so I feel comfortable saying they did at least 45 mph on the
straights between Maplewood and Orange.

The fear of 30 dated back to the Tom Thumb days in the 1830's.

- --- bob gillis <robertgillis_@_verizon.net> wrote:
> Janet & Randy Brown wrote:
> >They considered any speed above 30mph as potentially fatal.

> Who is 'they"
>
> Does anyone have a circa 1905 DLW ETT?  what speed limits were placed on
> wooden open platform cars?  I bet it was a lot higher that 30 mph if
> there was any restriction.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey