Re: (erielack)OT L&WV aka Laurel Line Tunnel Question

Corrected message.

Frank P Adams wrote:

 >On page 4 of the Henwood "Laurel Line" book it says that the gauntlet
track
 >thru the south Scranton tunnel was protected by an "electric staff system
 >consisting of a staff box located in an operator's booth at each junction"
 >It goes on to say that each box had 40 staffs and over time they
became bent
 >or damaged.  In 1915 a canvas bad was installed so conductors of south
bound
 >trains could throw the staff into it to be retrieved later "by the
operator
 >and returned to the machine"

A token system has a machine at each end of a track section where only
one train is allowed at a time. The two machines are interlocked so only
one token can be taken out at a time. A train approaching this section,
takes a token from machine A, proceeds through the section and inserts
the token back into machine B.  No another train can take a token and
proceed in either direction until the token has been replaced.

This system AFAIK was developed in Great Britain  Later token systems
allowed the token to be picked up and returned at speed.

I guess there was a signalman at the south end who would insert the
token back into the machine.  The motormen were probably trying to
insert at speed and did not let go fast enough.

 >Does anyone know exactly what this system was and how it operated?
Remember
 >the Laurel Line used an electrified third rail.

This has nothing to do with the token system

bob gillis