(erielack) Gladstone Branch odds and ends

I finally had a chance to page through "From The Passiack to the Wach
Unks: A History of The Township of Berkeley Heights New Jersey" here in
the Lucent library. I can't retype everything, but here are a few
interesting Lackawanna-related bits:

 From an account of one of the Beattie boys traveling from Hoboken to
Murray Hill in 1909:

"Andy Johnson the brakeman [I think he means conductor] on the P&D
branch had composed a suitable rhyme to announce each station  [He]
announced  the  "West Summit" station stop as "West Summit, West Summit,
West Summit, hum it, hum it." When we came to the Murray Hill station
stop, Andy greeted all disembarking passengers with the then status:
"Murray Hill, Murray Hill, never was and never will."

"It is said the when Mr. Carl Schultz [who owned a large and popular
spring water company] offered to build a "spacious" station free,
railroad officials told him he could name it, which he did: "Murray
Hill", after the section of New York City where his soda water factory
was  located, i.e. the Murray Hill Section of New York City, about 29th
and 30th Streets, on First Avenue."

more to follow...

dmg

- --
I n t e g r a t e d  I n f o r m a t i o n  S o l u t i o n s
         L u c e n t   T e c h n o l o g i e s
            YOUR FIRST STOP FOR INFORMATION
         VISIT US AT: http://infoview.lucent.com