(erielack) E8 Freight Conversion

The slightly more than doubled fuel capacity of 2550 gal by my rough
estimate should give a range of approx 650 miles for a loco with 24 normally
aspirated cylinders, am I in the ballpark? This means that a consist with
one or more of these units on a NY-Chicago run would require refueling at
Meadville and could not make it to Marion.

Paul B

The  following  is a comparison of the two groups:

Group A                     Group B
Min. Con. Speed             27.5          14
Max Speed                 89.5        65
Traction Motor
Number                 4            4
Model      D-27-B                   D-27-B
Gear  Ratio                    57:  20                       62:15
Wheel Dia.          38                   38
Steam Generator   YES    NO
Fuel Oil - Gals           1200        2550

Hope this  helps

Ben Bartlett