Re: (erielack) E8 Freight Conversion

Listers,

Thanks for all the responses. I'm sure you all know that EL E8s are one of
my favorite subjects, and this is a great discussion.

I am intrigued to see the 810 and 819 in the Group B list below, because I
remember an early Conrail roster showing those two as being active in passenger
 service for Conrail based in Providence, RI (MBTA passenger service). Did
these  two ever make it up that way, possibly to operate with other E8s in pairs
 (or as protection power), given that Mr.  Bartlett's information below shows
them being bereft of steam  generators.

Also, how was the re-weighting handled with the steam generator removed? I
read that Santa Fe undertook this task on its former Amtrak SDP40Fs using
concrete blocks, and that no re-weighting was done to "Erie 835"  (NJT/CR/PC/PRR
4248, PRR 5788A) making it a poor puller (this from someone  who operated them
during the late 1990s). Would it have made sense to leave the  steam generator
intact, but out of service, for weight purposes since that seems  like a
relatively cost-effective strategy.

Thanks again,

Phil Bell
_ELRRco_@_AOL.com_ (mailto:ELRRco@AOL.com)

EL  List

The following information should help clarify  the E8 conversion discussion.

The information comes from the Jan. 1972 Revision  to the EL Locomotive
Diagram Book:

The group that  retained passenger configuration ( Group A) included:
816, 821, 822,823, 824, 825, 829, 830, 831

The group converted to freight configuration ( Group B)  included:
809, 810, 812, 813, 814, 815, 817,  818, 819, 820, 826, 827, 828, 832

The  following  is a comparison of the two groups:

Group A                     Group B
Min. Con. Speed             27.5          14
Max Speed                 89.5        65
Traction Motor
Number                 4            4
Model      D-27-B                   D-27-B
Gear  Ratio                    57:  20                       62:15
Wheel Dia.          38                   38
Steam Generator   YES    NO
Fuel Oil - Gals           1200        2550

Hope this  helps

Ben Bartlett