RE: (erielack) Semi-OT: NJT/NJ DOT E8 4324 paint job

So, what was
> the story with the freight conversion of EL's E8s?
>
> Phil

It turns out that it was a good deal more complex than it sounds.  Change the gears and head out to
pull freight?  Not quite.  They had to change out the wheels because of the size of the gears, so
they ended up riding on different size wheels (40" instead of 36", I think, do not quote me on
that.)  That changed the height of the couplers, and so they needed to be modified.  There were
other changes as well, including speed recording equipment.  It was a lot of work.

OTOH, EL got a lot of miles out of the E8s after the conversion, using equipment that would
otherwise have lain idle.

SGL