Re: (erielack) Semi-OT: NJT/NJ DOT E8 4324 paint job

Henry and all,

Interesting shot to say the least! I took a look, and it seems like  someone
just "wrote" Conrail in the grime on the unit's flanks. Its a wonder  that
nobody added "wash-me" either.

But since we're on the subject of E8s, I read somewhere that EL  contemplated
conversion of its E8As to C-Cs as part of the reconfiguration for  freight
service. I have also read that the steam generators were removed, but  when I
look at photos of the units in freight service, it appears they still  have the
steam generator fittings on the roof. Finally, I  was told also told the
Conrail had contemplated retaining its final  four non-OCS E8 (4014/EL 825, 4039,
4063, 4249, and 4256) for occasional  freight service,, but cancelled the idea
after one failed to start during a  test... So, what was the story with the
freight conversion of EL's E8s? and  is there any truth to a Conrail plan for
those four E8 units or was it just an  interesting railfan rumor?

Phil
_ELRRco_@_AOL.com_ (mailto:ELRRco@AOL.com)

This 1980 shot of NJT/NJ DOT E8 4324 is in the blue and silver  bow-wave
scheme, but clearly showing on the side in BIG white block letters  is
CONRAIL. I am not sure if it was part of the paint job or if it is  showing
through, it is hard to tell with the amount of grime below the belt  rail. I
have never seen an NJT/CR E8 with that lettering so I thought I would  pass
this along for those who are  interested.