Re:(erielack) More Cliff Dwellers

- --- Joe K <joesk_@_ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> I don't believe the H&M had any connection to the Pennsylvania Railroad
> back at it's inception. An excellent history of the H&M and of the PRR
> tunnel to NYC can be found in "Rails Under the Mighty Hudson", by Brian
> Cudahy. A truly interesting read.

Correct.  The H&M was underway before the PRR decided to build Penn
Station and everything that went with it (river tunnels, Sunnyside Yard,
eventually the Hell Gate Bridge route to the New Haven).

The PRR saw the H&M could be used to advantage and invested in it.  The
PRR caused it to be extended to Manhattan Transfer in 1911, enabling
passengers to go downtown by rail instead of ferry from Exchange Place.
When the PRR rebuilt the line through Newark, they relocated the H&M
terminal from Park Place (site of the NJ Performing Arts Center) to the
PRR station.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey