Re: (erielack) More Cliff Dwellers

- --- Paul Brezicki <doctorpb_@_bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Lynn's map shows two features I wasn't previously aware of, one being
> the Hudson Tunnel (H&M) Tube. I gather this was a 3rd rail system
> similar to but distinct from the subway system.

Yes.  IRT-size cars, no physical connection to subways.

> I don't recall a reference to it at the Transit museum in Brooklyn when
> I visited in late 2004.

The Transit Museum really only covers NYC subways, trolleys and busses.  I
don't think the Transit museum covers the SIRT either, though it's now an
MTA operation using subway cars.

> What entity owned it,

The H&M was initially an independent operation, though the Pennsy took a
financial interest in it during the time of Penn Station New York
construction.  Its Newark terminal was originally near the current
Performing Arts Center.  Into the 1960's, the PRR contributed funds for
rolling stock and operations; some cars were lettered PRR and carried red
keystone heralds.

> and when did it cease operation?

It didn't.  The Port Authority bought it about 1962 to use the Hudson
Terminal site for something else - the World Trade Center.  We now know
the H&M as PATH...

> The other is a bypass around Denville.  Was this a freight bypass, and
> when and why was it abandoned?

The line through Rockaway was part of the original route of the Morris &
Essex Railroad and always carried passengers.

Starting at the Shell gas station near the current Denville station, it
went north behind the A&P.  Denville station was in the west end of the
area that's now Denville Firemen's Field.  A bunch of trees near the west
end of the field forms a wye arrangement (for the Boonton Branch) and the
embankment for the tracks is still slightly visible!  The railroad then
went northwest and west (some of this is under I-80), parallel to US 46,
crossing under it at East Main Street and then north of East Main Street
into Rockaway Borough.  The station was at 200 East Main; a building now
there is on the original foundation but enlarged.  The original station
burned in the early 1970's.

From the station, it crossed Main Street and made a bee-line to US 46 just
west of the McDonald's and NAPA Auto Parts, going under the highway and
then south to 'East Dover Junction' before continuing west to Dover.  The
line had a spur northward to the CNJ's Rockaway station for interchange.

The Boonton Line was built as a branch from Denville to reach the iron
industry.  It went east roughly where the south edge of I-80 is now before
reaching the current alignment just east of I-80.  Later, the current line
across the meadows from the current Denville station area to 'East Dover
Junction' was built; initially used only by Boonton Line trains until the
Morris & Essex was connected to it also.  The tower stood at the crossing
of the two lines and the station there was called Denville Junction.

The electrification used the newer line so by 1930 the line through
Rockaway was definitely secondary; it was single track while the others
were double - the Boonton line had four tracks for much of its length.

The line from Denville to Rockaway had passenger service until it was
abandoned in October 1948; the portion between East Dover Junction and
Rockaway lingered for CNJ interchange.  It continues to appear on road
maps though it was definitely gone by 1970.  The last passenger trip over
the 'loop' was a railfan charter on the last day the line was open.  I ran
an explorer hike from Denville a year or two ago and have photos somewhere...

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey