Re: (erielack) "Human Remains" in Consist

  Someone on the ERIE-LACKAWANNA list asked about how 'remains' (human )
were shipped on the EL RR. As posted by some others, it was usually in a
coffin in the baggage car. Does anyone remember the old sheet music song
from the 19th century "IN THE BAGGAGE CAR AHEAD"???
I saw the sheet music somewhere & it showed a little girl & her father in a
coach & the song went on about the mother being "In the baggage car ahead".
      While on this subject, I was reminded of one night when I was working
the passenger drill (switcher) at the Binghamton station. This engine
switched a few meatpackers downtown but never strayed too far from the
station since there were still several passenger trains each way & unlike
nowadays, you had to get headend cars on or off and get out of the way so
the road power could couple up & go. After this brisk work, there'd be a
respite and we'd go into the station restaurant for coffee or whatever in
the wee hours of the morning. This gave me some time to expand my knowledge
of railroad affairs & instead of getting coffee, I sat in the baggage room
with the old irishman who transacted the Company's business there. I'd
noticed one baggage cart that was a little different from the others and the
oldtimer told me that was the 'corpsewagon'. It had the regular 4 wheels
with the front axle rotating, but this cart had a doublebed with the upper
raising or lowering in order to slide a coffin from the door of the baggage
car. Please don't ask me for details since I can't remember them at this
point, but I'll bet some of the other guys on this list have seen them too.
Speaking of baggage carts, when I worked at the original Auto-Train, they
had 4 or 5 they'd gotten from the SCL and decided to get rid of them. I
talked the track crew into using their backhoe to hoist one into my pickup.
I had no idea how heavy they were and the truck was sitting down in the back
like a speedboat as I drove home from Sanford. I finally gave the cart to
Fred Rose who had a model train shop in Rockledge at the time.
Regards to all.
Walter E. Smith