(erielack) Time travel "The Past"

To all-

The best part of the commute to and from New York City was through the
Jersey City Erie Terminal.  My father used to take me to work via the Erie
RR from Rutherford to Jersey City when I was small. This was done in the
summer during and after WWII when school was out and Dad had time to drag
me to work.  We arrived at the JC terminal and then took the ferry to
downtown NYC.  Dad had coffee and I had milk in a small glass bottle and a
donut. We used to stand up front on the second deck of the ferry and catch
the spray in our faces. On the way home, Dad stopped for a manhattan in the
terminal bar/restaurant and I had the best, largest and most delicious
vanilla malted for the trip home.  Both in and out of the city was done by
Pacifics with 4 or 5 Stillwells in tow.  Dad worked on the 40th floor of
120 Wall Street and from his office windows you could see both rivers and
all the harbor doings including luxury liners in war paint, freighters,
tankers, a variety of war ships and many small vessels.  In those days, a
very busy harbor.

- -Joe Jordan
Train Nut Central
http://www.20thcenturyhobbies.com/trainnut/