(erielack) Re: Dining Cars

To all listers:

There is no doubt that EL Dining Cars served some of the best meals during
the 1960s. While other eastern carriers were downgrading their service, EL was
like a breath of fresh air. For example, Penn-Central service at the time was a
cut above "lousy."

When you walked into an EL Diner, either on one of the through-line trains or
on one of the fantrips, the welcoming environment meant a good experience.
Stewards quickly found you a place to sit, and service was at level that would
have pleased the Pullman Company.

We are encouraged at the response to the article in TRAINS about our efforts
to re-create the Erie Lackawanna Dining and through-line experience. The
restoration of Diner 741 is progressing on schedule. Barring any unforeseen
problems, Midwest has informed us they plan to have the work completed on 741 by late
spring early summer. I will have a detailed mechanical update in the next
issue of our newsletter, THE DINER DIGEST. Our deadline for news and articles is
March 10. Vice President - Communications Mike Steinberg reports that this
issue will contain some great stories from people who used to ride on The
Friendly Service Route.

In the meantime, I have been busy not only with moving freight for Union
Pacific, but working with our other Directors to make certain that we will
succeed.

I have no doubt that ELDCPS will again offer the opportunity to enjoy a
freshly prepared meal along with an authentic Erie Lackawanna experience.

By joining ELDCPS and/or purchasing items from our store, greatly assists us
in this effort. The bottom line is that any project of this kind requires a
steady supply of funding. It cannot be accomplished "on the cheap."

Check out our "new and improved" store on our website. Recently added items
include the EL Silverware in the Grecian pattern. Have you purchased your set?

Regards,

John Boehner, Vice President-Operations
ELDCPS
www.eldcps.org