Re: (erielack) Dining Cars

I only got to experience EL dining cars twice on the same day.  We rode the Lake Cities from Blairstown to Hoboken and back in November of 1969.  I had been in dining cars before (New Haven and New York Central) and my mother was a "pro" at long distance train travel so I knew what it was going to be like.  We went to the diner right after we got on in Blairstown.  It was one of the Erie heavyweight diner-lounge cars.  Everything was perfect - the tablecloth, the silver and that breakfast smell!  My mother and I were seated with a couple that got on in Scranton and were going to New York for the day to do their Christmas shopping.  I think I had eggs and bacon, but at this late date I'm not sure.  I do remember the view as we went across the Cutoff.

We ate on the return trip as well.  The only thing I remember was that dinner service started about an hour before departure time.  I remember seeing commuters getting on a train on the next track across the platform and looking up at us with envy (or so I thought!).

I think it was that trip that got me hooked on dining cars.  I have had dinner in the diner on Amtrak, on VIA, in Alaska, in England, even Australia.  But I have always wanted to go back and dine on the EL again.  I think we all know that it is going to happen, now it's just a question of when.

Tim