Re: (erielack) Three strikes and I'm out

eljefe3126_@_netscape.net wrote:

>Judging from what appears to be a row of commuters who are not dining and who are just reading their morning papers, I'd guess this "place" wasn't so much a local dining establishment as it was the actual ferry across the Hudson.
>
>If that's so, and if in addition it was an Erie or DL&W passenger ferry, that would definitely make it list content, and hardly a test of patience.
>
>Would someone enlighten this west end guy?  How did commuters on the DL&W lines get to jobs in NYC?  I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I tend to focus more on the Erie side of things on the east end.

Lynn, I think almost everyone in the East and even the West enjoys these
images that you are posting.  Keep it up.

Most commuters walked to their Wall Street Jobs.

Back from  1959 to the  end of ferry service. I worked for GE at 150
East 42nd Street.  I took the 8:05 Montclair  express to Hoboken and the
ferries as I did not like the bus or the old H&M black cars.   I made it
to the office by 9 AM.

 I walked from Barclay Street up to the east side IRT subway  at John
street. Many of us rode out on the upper deck even when the temperature
was in the teens,  When it got down to single digits we went inside.

bob gillis