RE: (erielack) Three strikes and I'm out

I don't know how many people responded to this but this picture is the upper "saloon deck" of what appears to be one of the Scranton-class ferries.  I can remember seeing tis area between the stairwells still had a serving area in place but I never saw it in use.  Tradition has it that Lackawanna ferries had very good doughnuts.

Ed Montgomery

________________________________

From: erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org on behalf of eljefe3126@netscape.net
Sent: Sat 3/4/2006 3:46 PM
To: LKRanieri_@_comcast.net; erielack@lists.railfan.net
Subject: Re: (erielack) Three strikes and I'm out

Judging from what appears to be a row of commuters who are not dining and who are just reading their morning papers, I'd guess this "place" wasn't so much a local dining establishment as it was the actual ferry across the Hudson.

If that's so, and if in addition it was an Erie or DL&W passenger ferry, that would definitely make it list content, and hardly a test of patience.

Would someone enlighten this west end guy?  How did commuters on the DL&W lines get to jobs in NYC?  I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I tend to focus more on the Erie side of things on the east end.

Jeff Larson
ELHS #2683