RE: (erielack) Dining Cars

Ed and List
I can't say if the EL Dining Carservice had a specialty but I do know the
food was always good and the dining car atmosphere was great.  My
intoduction to club sandwiches was on the Dining Car on DL&W (and later) EL
10 which carried a diner (buffet lounge) from Buffalo to Binghamton.  Still
haven't found any which truly match them.  I was fortunate to have been able
to dine in diners on many Hobo-Bflo and Hobo-Chgo trains -- not a bad apple
in the lot!
       The Erie and DL&W Dining Car Departments were effectively merged in
many ways before the EL merger--I believe they had a common Manager, J M
Collins, and common commisary, etc.  Of further note is that the DL&W (and
Erie IIRC) each received an "A" Certificate from the United States Health
Service from its initiation c. 1957 through and into merger.  The
certificate was awarded annually to qualifying United States railroads in
recognition of sanitary excellence.  The USPHS rigidly inspected all dining
and buffet cars of railroads in interstate commerce.  Cars were graded on
124 separate items from equipment to personal cleanliness of employees.  In
1958/59 DL&W dining cars and buffet cars received a rating of 95% or better.
       The ELDCPS is preserving what many of its patrons found to be one of
the EL and the industry's best-kept secrets.
        M J Connor