RE: (erielack) Calendar time

Ed Montgomery wrote:

>I have a response about this picture that is different.  How did Port Jervis become the railroad town it did.  What kind of classification went on in the yard there?  It seemed redundant to bring
>trains into the Port and then remake them for delivery to Croxton or Maybrook.  Port Jervis never had any interchange traffic of any size.  i doubt the O&W interchanged much there.  Finally, when
>did Port Jervis loose it's railroad town status.  Was it tied to the demise of the Poughkeepsie Bridge or did Conrail close it down?  I can remember the engine terminal in full operation through
>the 60s.  When did all of that close.  By 1978 the railroad looked like it had no interest in the town.

People can correct me if I'm completely off base here, as I know more about the DL&W side than the Erie, but I thought Port's purpose was to classify traffic headed for Maybrook and also for the branch to Avoca?  The Avoca stuff was dried up by the 1970s, and once the Poughkeepsie Bridge burned in 1974, the reason for Port's existence was pretty much gone. Did EL still do crew changes there after 1974?

The other thing was that Port was a terminus for passenger trains, somethng the EL also wanted to shake off. With freight gone, the EL really had no vested interest in the town, and Conrail moreso.

The Port Jervis slug, B65, was "semi-retired" in 1975 when there was no more need for it there in use on classifying trains. It was shipped to Croxton for storage.