Re: (erielack) New Jersey West Line (2)

It's interesting that the Caldwell Branch is shown cutting through First
Mountain between Verona and Montclair via a proposed tunnel.

The line as it left Caldwell e/b, followed Bloomfield Avenue, but where it
ducks under Bloomfield Ave. to go north towards Cedar Grove, was proposed to
go straight east , paralleling just south of Bloomfield Avenue through
Verona, and would have spanned through Verona Park - In the wintertime in
the 1970's you could still see some of where this proposed line had been
graded intially through some of the neighboroods, but never completed,
including the approaches on either side of Verona Park

Tri-State's Block Line did an intensive complete article on the history and
operation of Caldwell Branch in the early 1980's, including this proposed
alignment and the tunnel through into Montclair - the tunnel had just been
started on the Montclair side when the line was abandoned for what
eventually became the Caldwell branch via Cedar Grove and Overbrook - I
remember hiking back there in the late 1970's to see the remnants of the
tunnel - If not filled in and/or build on, there's probably nothing there
today...

One wonders if this alignment had come to be, whether the line would be in
place today...

Rich Behrendt
ELHS #384