RE: (erielack) Calendar time

I have a response about this picture that is different.  How did Port Jervis become the railroad town it did.  What kind of classification went on in the yard there?  It seemed redundant to bring trains into the Port and then remake them for delivery to Croxton or Maybrook.  Port Jervis never had any interchange traffic of any size.  i doubt the O&W interchanged much there.  Finally, when did Port Jervis loose it's railroad town status.  Was it tied to the demise of the Poughkeepsie Bridge or did Conrail close it down?  I can remember the engine terminal in full operation through the 60s.  When did all of that close.  By 1978 the railroad looked like it had no interest in the town.

Ed Montgomery

________________________________

From: erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org on behalf of Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)
Sent: Mon 2/27/2006 2:01 PM
To: 'erielack_@_lists.elhts.org'
Subject: (erielack) Calendar time

A day early, but what the heck...

MARCH 2006 in the EL Calendar features an intriguing scene at the Port Jervis, NY yard in April of 1974. Eastbound NY-100, led by an F7/E8/U36C combination, pulls through the yard with its heavy piggyback consist. The units are passing EL SW9 447. Of interest is the VERY faded yellow nose on the F7 (compared to the yellow on the adjacent SW9, as well as the U36C further back in the consist). I would assume that repainting F-units by this late date was a very low priority to EL shop people.

It's also interesting that the gray ballast around the main quickjly turns into cinders around the yard throat

Eagle-eyed viewers should be able to spot all four cabooses in this picture! :)