Re: (erielack) Calendar Time

        Paul and Listers,

  If my memory serves me correctly, the TOFC ramp was located on the South Side of the tracks just east of Horn's Building Materials.  It was actually behind the bridge the photographer is standing on and to his left.
  This was a field area and also a staging area for Maintenance of Way materials.

  Rich Pennisi

Paul Brezicki <doctorpb_@_bellsouth.net> wrote:   Paul, the nerve of making the shortest month a day shorter; we might excuse
it on a leap year! I love yard photos, so much to look at. This is actually
2/NY-100, the "UPS train". The symbol has been a source of confusion. It's
really a different train than NY-100, not an overflow section. It's schedule
is 6 hours later than NY-100, which by this time generally ran on the
Scranton side. The unusual lashup rang a bell, and sure enuff, there's the
same train on the 3/2000 page photographed later that morning at Otisville.
Mr Scesny was busy that day. The scene is energized with the arrival of EL's
hottest train. It prepares to set out cars 6 thru 12 (or so) including the
baretables. The latter suggest it's Sunday; they will be used to protect
outbound traffic early in the week, as the next scheduled inbound TOFC move
is Wednesday morning. The SW will immediately take the cut to the ramp,
where the UPS drivers wait impatiently to take the trailers to the Stratford
CT sorting facility. Cars 1 thru 5 comprise the Huntington pickup, bound for
Croxton. See "EL in Color" Vol 2 pg 116 for a shot of the cut Xing over
after 2/100's departure. Does anyone know exactly where in Port the TOFC
ramp was and which way it was oriented? The power also suggests Sunday, when
on-time arrival in Croxton was less critical; those cab units with their
1200 gal tanks needed refueling enroute at least twice.

Of note is the fact that the still active Maybrook gateway is helping to
keep the yard bustling and almost full, the last hurrah for Port as in less
than 2 years it will lie abandoned. The caption doesn't give the full date
but it must be just prior to the Poughkeepsie bridge fire. The book shot
taken the following month shows an almost empty facility.

I've done my share of griping about these calendars, but there's a good
chance that this photo will end up in a frame on the wall of my train room
in 2007.

Paul B

From: "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)"

Subject: (erielack) Calendar time

A day early, but what the heck...

MARCH 2006 in the EL Calendar features an intriguing scene at the Port
Jervis, NY yard in April of 1974. Eastbound NY-100, led by an F7/E8/U36C
combination, pulls through the yard with its heavy piggyback consist. The
units are passing EL SW9 447. Of interest is the VERY faded yellow nose on
the F7 (compared to the yellow on the adjacent SW9, as well as the U36C
further back in the consist). I would assume that repainting F-units by this
late date was a very low priority to EL shop people.

It's also interesting that the gray ballast around the main quickjly turns
into cinders around the yard throat

Eagle-eyed viewers should be able to spot all four cabooses in this picture!
:)

- - Paul

Yahoo! Mail