Re: (erielack) DL&W Firemen's roster corrected to 1905

In a message dated 2/25/06 12:17:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wsmith5957_@_hotmail.com writes:

>  I found one.......Dalrymple - on the M&E division. When I was 12 yrs old,
my
> family sent me to a boy scout camp on a NJ farm owned by a family of that
> name. It's not a common name, so it may have been a descendant of the named
> fireman.

If that was in North Jersey, that property is today the site of the County
College of Morris.  On that land besides the farm, were the Dalrymple iron
mines; I've seen the inclines and filled in shafts from some that are still in
peoples' backyards along Morris Turnpike (south and West of the college campus).
And before WWII the Dalrymples harvested ice from ponds on the property, as
recalled by my late grandparents who remembered the trucks delivering to the
house and Uncle Patsy's general store on Sussex Street in Dover.  Dalrymple in
these parts, locally pronounced by them da-RIMple, was an unusual name, but not
that uncommon in that era. When I attended CCM in the early 1980s the mansion
was still on the campus along Center Grove Road.

            All the best,                   ....Mike Del Vecchio