Re:(erielack) Phrom our postcard collection

The streamliner "Phoebe Snow" was instituted after WWII and, therefore, lasted hardly 15 years, not counting its EL reincar=nation.

Green flags on the rear of a train would be useless to a passenger at a station becuse (1) he wouldn't know what they meant and (2) there woud be no guarantee that the following section was scheduled to stop at that station.

Randy Brown
Lynn and List, I apologize if this has already been covered, but "Phoebe Snow" was also the name of DL&W's pair of flagship passenger trains between New York and Buffalo (with connection to Cleveland and Chicago via the Nickel Plate, IIRC). It ran until the EL merger in 1960, but the name was briefly revived by the Wm White administration for one pair of Hoboken-Chicago trains from
(?)1963-1968 which was routed over the former Erie west of Binghamton. Of note on the pc is the obs car carrying green flags which indicated "section following". These were generally placed on the locomotive (or indicated by green class lights); did some RR's also place them on the last car (not just on pc's)? It would certainly have been helpful (and reassuring) to someone who arrived late at the station and saw their train pulling away!

Paul B