Re: (erielack) Spanish Influenza and the DL&W--long post

Yes, very interesting.  I'm wondering to what degree, if any, the railroad
manpower shortage was exacerbated by World War I, since the flu pandemic of
1917-18 hit at the same time.

Chuck

                      Richard Pennisi
                      <eldispatcher72_@_yah
                      oo.com>             To:     Pat_McKnight_@_nps.gov
                      Sent by:                    EL List <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
                      erielack-owner_@_list cc:
                      s.elhts.org         Subject:
                                                  Re: (erielack) Spanish Influenza and the DL&W--long post

                      02/22/2006 11:03 AM
                      Please respond to
                      Richard Pennisi

        Pat,

  Thank you for this interesting file to read.  It certainly makes me happy
to  live in the times that we do.

  Rich Pennisi

Pat_McKnight_@_nps.gov wrote:   I had a research request last month asking if
I had any information about
the impact of the Spanish Influenza on the railroads that swept the world
at the end of World War I. Much to my surprise, we had one short folder
from 1918 labelled "Spanish Influenza" that contained correspondence into
and out of the DL&W's General Superintendent's Office (H.H. Shepard). I
had a high school student transcribe the information as part of a school
project, and I thought I'd post the result of her work.

With all the talk of Avian Flu, it is interesting looking at how the
country of 1918 reacted to worldwide pandemic. The papers are in reverse
chronological order with the most recent documents at the beginning:

16790:

Spanish Influenza.
From September 23rd, 1918.
To: blank

- -----------------------------

002

Epidemic Influenza.!
Help to protect yourself, your family and your town from a serious
epidemic!
It is unlawful to cough or sneeze without turning the face away from
others and covering the nose and mouth with a handkerchief, or to spit on
the floor of any public place or public conveyance or on the sidewalk. A
violation of this regulation is a misdemeanor and punishable by a fine or
imprisonment or both. Epidemic Influenza is conveyed solely from the
discharges from the nose and throat.
Help to enforce the law! Save yourself and save others!

Hermann M. Biggs, M.D.
State Commissioner of Health

- -----------------------------

003

16790

Nov. 4th, 1918.

Mr. H.H. Shepard,
General Superintendent.
Dear Sir:-
Your letter of November 2nd, file 16790, with sample of poster
received from the State Commissioner of Health, on epidemic influenza and
requesting that it be posted in stations buildings.
You can permit of this being done.

Yours very truly,
E.M. Rine
Federal Manager.

004

16790

November 2, 1918.

Mr. E.M. Rine,
Federal Manager.
Dear Sir:
I enclose sample of poster just received from the State Commissioner
of Health, New York State, in regard to epidemic influenza, with request
that it be posted in station buildings. Please advise if O.K. to comply.

Yours respectfully,
[no signature]

- -----------------------------

005

16790.

Scranton, Pa., October 29, 1918.

1008
1030 Agents Meeting October 28th

Mr. H.H. Shepard,
General Superintendent.
Dear Sir:
We were to have a semi-annual agent�s meeting today, but on account
of the epidemic of Influenza prevalent throughout the country, I did not
deem it wise to call this meeting.
I also cancelled a Fire Board Meeting last week.

Yours truly,
[Illegible Signature]
Superintendent.

- -----------------------------

006

16790

Scranton, Pa., October 28, 1918

File 1052----Death of Flagman James McAndrew.

Mr. H.H. Shepard,
General Superintendent.
Dear Sir:
For your information wish to advise that Flagman James McAndrew, who
was employed as Trainman, Kingston since July 23rd, 1914 died from the
Spanish Influenza at 2:00 PM, October 27th.

Your truly,
[Illegible Signature]
Superintendent.

- ----------------------------

007

16790

East Buffalo, M.Y., Oct. 24, 1918
File 109

2-3
Subject: Delay in relieving switch engine

Mr. A. B. Staub,
Superintendent.
Dear Sir:
Yours of October 23rd, delay in relieving switch engines. This is
due to the sickness of hostlers, one now not expected to live.

Yours truly,
B.H. Davis
Master Mechanic

- ----------------------------

008

16790

Scranton, Pa., October 24, 1918
File 73

H.C. Manchester,
Sup�t. M.P. & E.
Dear Sir:
This to advise that Scranton Division Engineer James J. Earley, died
Friday, October 11, 1918.

Yours truly,
B.H. Davis
Master Mechanic

009

Scranton, Pa., October 24, 1918.
File 73

Subject - Death of Eng�r Dennis T. Mahon.

H.C. Manchester,
Sup�t. M. P. & E.
Dear Sir:
This to advise that Engineer Dennis Thomas Mahon, died Friday, 9:00
AM, October 18, 1918, from Spanish Influenza.

Yours truly,
B.H. Davis
Master Mechanic

- -----------------------------

010

Scranton, Pa., October 24, 1918.
File 73

Subject - Death of Engineer Chauncey Daily.

H.C. Manchester,
Sup�t. M. P. & E.
Dear Sir:
This to advise that Gravel Place Engineer, Chauncey Daily, died 3:00
AM Sunday morning, October 13, 1918.

Yours truly,
B.H. Davis
Master Mechanic.

- --------------------------------

011

Scranton, Pa., October 24, 1918.
File 73

Subject - Death of Fireman Walter Leroy Payne.

H.C. Manchester,
Sup�t. M. P. &. E.
Dear Sir:
Fireman W.L. Payne, reported off sick on Oct. 1, 1918, and died at
3:00 PM, Oct. 6, 1918 from Spanish Influenza.
Yours truly,
B.H. Davis
Master Mechanic.

- -----------------------------

012

Scranton, Pa., Oct. 24, 1918.
File 73

Subject - John Jos. Walsh�s Death.

H.C. Manchester,
Sup�t. M. P.& E.
Dear Sir:
Scranton Division Fireman, John Joseph Walsh, died at 2�00 PM October
10, 1918.

Yours truly,
B.H. Davis
Master Mechanic

- -----------------------------

013

Scranton, Pa., Oct. 24, 1918.
File 73

Subject - Fireman A.M. Knapp�s Death.

H. C. Manchester,
Sup�t. M. P. & E.
Dear Sir:
A.M. Knapp, Fireman, working out of Syracuse, died at Homer Hospital,
Syracuse, N.Y. Monday morning, October 7, 1918, on account of being struck
by Mail Catcher at Messengerville.

Yours truly,
B.H. Davis
Master Mechanic.

- --------------------------------

014

From Scranton, Pa., October 15, 1918
HHS

Your letter 14th, file 16790, shortage of towermen on account of
sickness.
We now have 15 Towermen & Operators off on account of sickness. All
places filled OK.

FJL

- ------------------------------

015

Binghamton, New York,
October 15th, 1918.

Mr. H.H. Shepard:
Your joint letter of the 14th, file 16790.
We are only short one towerman today and that is at Chenango Forks
and I have arranged to cover this job with a relief man.

[Illegible Signature]
Superintendent.

- ------------------------------

016

Hoboken, N.J., October 15th, 1918.

Me. H.H. Shepard,
General Superintendent.
Dear Sir:-
I have your letter of October 14th, File 16790, in connection with
having some of our employees at freight stations in vicinity of towers post
up on tower work. So that they will be ready to do business in an
emergency. Will keep right after this matter and will advise you results
later.
In connection with the last paragraph, beg to advise the situation in
regard to towermen today is as follows:-

Greendell Tower….Clark Off sick
Glade �
Hendershot �
Extra Towermen….Hull �
Brown �
West Tower Pt. Morris….A. Leida �
W. Harbourt �
Millburn Tower….Dalton �
Kearney JCT. Tower….P.J. Herlihy, Acct. illness of wife.

Yours truly,
[Illegible Signature]
Superintendent.

017

October 14, 1918.

16790.

Mr. J.E. Elliot
Mr. A.E. Staub
Mr. F.J. Lawrence
Mr. F. Cizek

Superintendents.

Gentlemen:
In view of the shortage of towermen on account of sickness wish you
would ask Freight Agents in vicinity of the towers of they have any men
available who could post up and be ready in an emergency.
Please advise me also in detail just what your situation is in regard
to towermen.

Yours truly,
[no signature]

- ------------------------------

018

From FMF Buffalo 10-14-18
To HHS

Following employees off duty acct. illness Buffalo Divn; Condrs 6 all at
Elmira trainmen 32 all at Elmira engrs. 22 as follows 5 East Buffalo 10
Elmira 7 Groveland. Firemen 46 as follows 13 East Buffalo 18 Elmira 15
Groveland. Round house help 12 as follows Elmira 10 Groveland 2. Round
house Foremen 2 at Groveland. Yard Masters 10 as follow 7 East Buffalo 3
Elmira. Switchmen 47 as follows 45 East Buffalo 2 Elmira. Yard Clerks 9as
follows 7 East Buffalo 2 Elmira. Station Clerks 14 as follows 5 East
Buffalo 5 Buffalo 4 Elmira Operators 7 Towermen 2 disprs. 1 icon house men
5 East Buffalo. Total 216.

AES 1112 AM

- ------------------------------

019

October 14, 1918.

Mr. H.C. Manchester,
Superintendent M. P. & E.
Dear Sir:
Your letter of October 9 to me in regard to employees off duty at
Port Morris.
The matter was referred to the General Manager, who told me he would
talk it over with you; therefore I took no action other than to take it up
with Messrs Lawrence and Elliot to get the best possible movement on these
eastward through trains and to avoid, if at all possible, cutting out
Mikado engines at Port Morris.

Yours truly,
[no signature]

- ---------------------------

020

Binghamton, New York,
October 12th, 1918.

Mr. H.H. Shepard:
To give you an idea of our station forces are hit by the prevailing
epidemic, following is situation today:

JAMESVILLE: Agent Grace is off account death of his son and first
trick operator is sick.

ONATIVIA: Second trick operator reported off sick this afternoon and
no one to put in his place.

APULIA: Agent Dalton and all three operators off sick. Agent Miller
of Bridgewater was at Apulia on his vacation and I have got him on
first trick and a student on second trick and a new operator on third
trick.

PREBLE: Helper of sick.

MARATHON: First, second and third trick operators off. We sent two
relief operators there and they were also taken sick. Agent and
helper are running the station, and I have one of our old employees who is
now in Government service and off on 30 day furlough there to help out.

BALDWINSVILLE: One operator sick.

LISLE: Agnet reported sick today.

CHENANGO FORKS: One towerman sick and necessary to double the two
others for last two days.

�RD� TOWER, BINGHAMTON: Third trick man sick and extra men in his
place.

GREENE: Agent and second trick operator off. Relief operator there
helping out.

EARLVILLE: Agent sick. Relief man in his place.

RICHFIELD SPRINGS: Relief Agent Churchill reported sick today.
Force can get along.

OSWEGO: Three freight house men, three office men and four yard men
off sick.

�YO� YARD, BIGNHAMTON: Two clerks and one number taker off.

BINGHAMTON: Agent Miller has three of his clerks off at freight
office and two at Transfer.

SUPT�S OFFICE: Two clerks sick.

SYRACUSE: Fifteen trainmen, four conductor and seven switchmen off
sick.
UTICA: One switchman, eleven trainmen, off sick.

CORTLAND: Yardmaster Stephens off sick and extra Yardmaster Wolfe
laid off this afternoon on account of one of his people sick.

Relief Agent Clough, who is working at Jamesville, was taken sick
several days ago.

[Illegible Signature]
Superintendent.

- -----------------------------

021

Mr. Lawrence:
Doctors here recommending a gargle and mouth wash ½ glass water with
five drops iodine as preventative influenza. I have used it right along
and believe that it is fine thing to do. Also understand that it has been
recommended by best physicians in U.S. give you this for the good there may
be in it.

ZLM 10-14-18.

- -----------------------------

022

Hoboken, N.J., October 12th, 1918.

Mr. H.H. Shepard,
General Superintendent.
Dear Sir:-
For your information, as we are a little short of tower men account
of sickness, etc.
I would recommend Chief Dispatchers ask Freight Agents in the
vicinity where towers are located if they have one or more men available
that could post up and be ready for emergency.

Yours truly,
[Illegible Signature]

- -----------------------------

023

October 11, 1918.

Mr. H.H. Shepard,
General Superintendent,
D. L. & W. R. R. Co.,
Scranton, Pa.
Dear Sir:-
In considering the present spread of the epidemic in the city I have
been thinking what we could do to prevent the spread among out employees.
In going over the matter from all angles I would recommend that we give all
the men a prophylactic dose of influenza serum. This is given in four or
five doses. It is not a specific against influenza but is considered the
best that we have at the present time to ward off the same.
The serum would cost about $1.00 per man. I believe this could be
given to the men here in Scranton and over the entire system.
With this in view I would earnestly recommend that we do this at
once.
At the present time I am confined to bed in the Hospital by my
Associates could administer same until such time as I m able to be out
again.

Yours very truly,
R.J. Wall
Acting Chief Surgeon

*I wasn�t sure of the middle initial of the Acting Chief Surgeon so I put
what I believe it looks like.

- ------------------------------

024

Scranton, Pa. October 11th, 1918.

H.H.S.
Understand the Telephone Co. in Scranton are giving the serum to
their employees this afternoon. Supt. Lawrence says the L. & N. E. are
going to give it to their men.

L.G.B.

- ------------------------------

025

Oct. 11, 1918.

File - 20

Mr. Frank Cizek, Supt.,
D. L. & W. R. R. Co.,
Binghamton, N.Y.

Dear Sir:-
Your letter of October 9th, in regard to there being no one on hand
at the Oswego house to clean first on your engine 365 at 4:45 P.M. on
October 7th.
This condition is due to the fact that 450 of our shop employees out
of a total of 640 are on the sick list at the present time, and have been
for several days, due to the epidemic that we are having in this city at
the present time. It is a struggle for us to keep enough labor in the
Roundhouse to keep our regular power moving, however, we are doing the best
we can under the circumstances, and hope to be in better shape within the
next few days. However, if you have any further trouble in this respect, I
would be glad if you would let me know.

Very truly yours,
[Illegible Signature]
Superintendent.
HHS - Oswego hit very hard Last evenings paper there reported 47 deaths.
FC 10/12

- ------------------------------

026

Oct. 9, 1918

Subject: Employees off duty, Port Morris.

Mr. H.H. Shepard,
General Superintendent.
Dear Sir:-
Account of number of our employees off duty at Port Morris, due to
sickness, twenty-six (26) engine house employees absent today, as well as a
number of engineers and fireman, I feel it is necessary, and so recommend,
that all engines possible be kept out of that terminal, and Mikado engine
eastward bound be given tonnage that will permit of their going through to
Secaucus within the prescribed period, and barring accidents, non out at
Port Morris; and furthermore, that the latter point be not called upon to
furnish helpers for use from Slateford east.
I understand that three Mikados are now tied up at Port Morris
account of the 16-hour law, and with the extreme shortage of employees this
condition should be avoided. Unless the health conditions very materially
improve at Port Morris, it is quite probable that it will be necessary to
take some of the helpers from that point to Secaucus, handling the matter
in a manner similar to that we found necessary at Gravel Place sometime
since, when we moved helpers therefrom to Scranton account of labor
shortage, resulting from an unusual number of absentees, due to epidemic of
sickness.

Yours truly,
H.G. Manchester

CC - Mr. E.M. Rine

- ------------------------------

027

Scranton, Pa., October 9th, 1918.

File 1022

Mr. H.H. Shepard,
General Superintendent.
Dear Sir:-
Your memorandum of even date regarding six drop-end gondolas required
by the American Bridge Company at Elmira.
We are advised order for this equipment was cancelled at 2:00 PM
to-day as a result of the Spanish Influenza.

Yours truly,
[Illegible Signature] Supt. Car Service.
028

MEMO

AJM:
Mr. Rine�s office telephoned American Bridge Co., Elmira asking for
six drop-end cars to load steel for Long Island.

[Illegible Signature]

- -----------------------------

029

029

Binghamton, New York,
October 7th, 1918.

Mr. H.H. Shepard:
Referring to my mailgram of the 3rd in answer to your inquiry with
regard to engineer at Oswego lake trestle being taken sick and the trestle
closed down for one day.
Sales Agent McEathron advises that he was notified on the 1st that
they could not find a man to run this job at Oswego and it was necessary to
get one at Syracuse and send there, but this could not be done without
losing one day.

[Illegible Signature]
Superintendent.

- -----------------------------

030

Scranton, Pa., October 5th, 1918.
File 73.

2-2

Subject: Engineer L.B. Staples, Death.

Mr. H.C. Manchester,
Supt. M. P. & E.
Dear Sir:-
L.B. Staples Engineer working out of Gravel Place died Friday October
4th, at 10:00 AM of Spanish Influenza.

Yours truly,
B.H. Davis
Master Mechanic.

Cc H.H.S
F.J.L.
E.B.M.
A.W.
Record File.

- ------------------------------

031

Binghamton, New York,
October 4th, 1918.

Mr. H.H. Shepard:
For your information, we are being hit pretty hard with the Spanish
Influenza at Syracuse and Oswego. At Oswego today we have a total of 11men
off, 6 in freight house, 3 in freight office and 2 drill men. At Syracuse
9 yard men, 12 trainmen and 7 firemen are off. Conditions seem to be
getting worse instead of better.

[Illegible Signature]
Superintendent.

- ------------------------------

032

September 28, 1918.

Mr. J.P. Brogen,
General Foreman Car Department,
Hoboken.
Dear Sir:
Will you please advise when you receive the supply of posters from
the Health Department of New York Central to be placed in passenger cars,
in connection with the campaign to curtail the spreading of Spanish
Influenza.

Yours truly,
[no signature]

- ------------------------------

033

Hoboken, N.J., September 25th, 1918.

Me. H.H. Shepard,
General Superintendent.
Dear Sir:-
This will acknowledge receipt of your letter of the 23rdinstant, file
17372 and 10085, reference Regional Director advising the Health Department
of New York city is inaugurating and educational campaign to curtail the
spreading of Spanish Influenza.
Will arrange accordingly.
Yours truly,
J.E. Elliot
Superintendent.

- ----------------------------

034

September 23, 1918.

17372:
10085:

Mr. J.E. Elliot,
Superintendent.
Dear Sir:
The Regional Director advises the Health Department of New York City
is inaugurating an educational campaign to curtail the spreading of Spanish
Influenza, and it is desired that the railroads entering New York City
co-operate to the extent of having a small poster placed in all commutation
trains in the New York commutation zone, but not in through trains.
A supply of these circulars will be delivered to General Foreman
Brogen, who Superintendent M. P. & E. Manchester will instruct to place in
suburban cars. When the supply is received, please make check to be sure
that copy is displayed in all cars operating in commutation trains in the
New York commutation zone. Acknowledge.

Yours truly,
[no signature]

CC - Mr. Rine: Your letter Sept. 21
A.J.M.
H.C.M.

- ----------------------------

035

Sept. 21st, 1918.

Mr. H.C. Manchester,
Supt. M. P. & E.
Dear Sir:
The Regional Director advises the Health Department of New York City
is inaugurating an educational campaign to curtail the spreading of Spanish
Influenza, and it is desired that the railroads entering New York City
co-operate to the extent of having a small poster placed in all commutation
trains in the New York commutation zone, but not in through trains.
A supply of circulars is being forwarded to this office and when
received I will have same delivered to General Foreman Brogen at Hoboken,
whom you will please instruct to place in suburban cars.
Acknowledge.

Yours truly,
E.M. Rine
General Manager.

CC Mr. H.H. Shepard, Genl. Supt.
Mr. G.A. Cullen, Gen. Passgr. Agt.
Mr. J. Fister, Chief, Timetable Bureau.

Patrick McKnight
Historian/Archivist
Steamtown NHS
570-340-5193

We need history, not to tell us what happened or to explain the past, but

=== message truncated ==