(erielack) Ray Ruff, Denville, etc

Just for clarification, please.  Do I understand from a previous post that
Ray wound up his career as the station cleaner at Summit?  I always wondered
what happened to towermen as everything was consolidated in Hoboken.

I don't have the picture in front of me right now, but it was taken in
Denville Tower.  There simply is no other tower with that machine and
interior.  All of those white levers would indicate that this photo was
taken after they tore out most of the plant and tracks on the Boonton side,
after I left..

I listened to the first landing on the moon while working Denville Tower,
and I posted there under Jack Swenson, including the day which marked his
54th year on the railroad, almost entirely spent in Denville.  He hired on
in 1913.  So we still can have the second person accounts of things on the
railroad that happened a hundred years ago.

With regard to "running the clock" and "grinding off the time", I can
remember almost every time I had to do that.  As Rich said, those two to
four minutes lasted forever.  During that time you would have to notify the
dispatcher what was up, never a happy message. At the very least, you were
in technical violation of having signals cleared in advance of an immediate
move without authorization.  That was a "jaywalking" type of offense,
however, particularly on the Lackawanna side where all signals cleared
themselves if you kept them pulled off.  No big deal would be holding up a
through passenger train or hot freight.  On the Erie side, signals did not
clear themselves and so railfans could have a pretty good idea of if a train
was approaching if the home signal was not at "stop."

Len VanderJagt