(erielack) Erie Piermont branch

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-02-17-06

DSCN0839f.jpg (image/jpeg, 600x450 118231 bytes, BF: 2.28 ppb)
DSCN0841e.jpg (image/jpeg, 600x450 101585 bytes, BF: 2.66 ppb)
DSCN0842e.jpg (image/jpeg, 600x450 105447 bytes, BF: 2.56 ppb)

Listers, my wife and I were in Suffern NY last night for a spontaneous stop
at our favorite Indian restaurant.  It is a strange coincidence that just as
we listers are being treated to the topic of little used Erie and Lackawanna
branches I catch a train exiting the Piermont Branch across Route 59
(unprotected crossing) and entering the old Erie main under the NY Thruway.
It had been waiting for #51 to the Port to clear.
Rockland County has been my "backyard" since 1943 but I have NEVER seen a
train working that branch, which was the original Erie mainline.  So I
attach three quick-reflex, hurried photos of the occasion from my wife's
little digital carry-everywhere. Even back in 1956 the speed restriction on
the Piermont was 25 mph.  Looking at the track, it can't be much above 10 at
present!
Listers have also recently been writing about past various methods and
tricks for setting out and picking up cars from sidings.  It is interesting
that this NS crew had two locos -- one at each end of the (about) five-car
consist.  Rather than try old tricks on pretty shaky track I guess that with
two locos the crew could easily work a trailing or facing siding without the
need for any of the old "tricks"?

Joe Braun