Re: (erielack) Google Earth

Dear Ken,

I'm curious where the bumper block is because as recently as September
(when I was working in Wayne) there wasn't any bumper block in the vicinity
of the connection with NJ Transit at Mountain View.  As far as I know, the
connection as it now is presently configured--a northbound move up the
Greenwood Lake branch past the switch to the old Boonton Line (Totowa
Industrial) and then a reverse move through the switch eastbound on the
Boonton Line--dates back to the early 1960s when the EL sold off the R-O-W
past Garrett Mountain in Paterson in order to create what is now Rt. 80 and
Rt. 19.  It was an incredibly stupid and short-sighted move on the part of
the EL management, but they needed the cash and never thought that they
would need the Boonton Line again.  (The NJ Highway Department, the
predesessor of NJDOT, had given the EL the option of retaining one track,
but would not have given any cash to the EL if the track was retained.)

Chuck

                      "Hoboken"
                      <hoboken_@_ezrs.com>
                      Sent by:            To:     <erielack_@_lists.Railfan.net>
                      erielack-owner_@_list cc:
                      s.elhts.org         Subject:
                                                  (erielack) Google Earth

                      02/15/2006 08:21 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "Hoboken"

If you download and install Google Earth, you view satellite images of the
earth.  While trying to follow the route of the Erie Main Line through
Carlton Hill, Passaic Park, Passaic, and Clifton to Paterson, I noted that
the connection between the old Greenwood Lake Branch and the old Lackawanna

Boonton Line now has a bumper post just west of where the turnout was--it
appears, but the image isn't clear enough to me, that the Boonton Line
track
was straight-railed.  Wonder why NS simply didn't pull up all the rail on
the connection between the old Greenwood Lake Branch and the old Boonton
Line, since there clearly would not be passenger service on that part of
the
line again.

Ken Bush