Re:RE: (erielack) Diamond questions

Except that a reading of the article and perusal of the tables shows that the "big" cars all weighed about the same, just under 177,000 pounds, including the series on 4-wheel trucks, which were allowed 14,000 pounds more in capacity.  However, they had 6" x 11" journals while the 6-wheel trucks all had 5" x 9" journals.  The size of the journals, more than the number, governed.  And, these seven cars from ACF came in 1942, when material shortages might have had an impact on truck building.  The order was never repeated.

Tracking?  I don't know . . . the Erie was not shy about using 4-wheel trucks on coaches. . .

Randy Brown

 Philip Martin
> Subject: (erielack) Diamond questions
>
> Why put six wheel trucks on a baggage car?  I thought that
> all the extra two wheels do is give passengers a more
> comfortable ride.

I believe that six-wheel trucks, besides increasing the load-carrying capacity of the car (limited by the size of the journals, and how many journals there were), also tracked better at speed.  A better ride for fragile shipments in a baggage car might be a good thing, but there were also riders in some baggage cars.  Mostly, I think it was the better tracking.

SGL

End of EL List Daily V3 #1927