RE: (erielack) DL&W and ERIE "minor" branches

I'll add my two cents:

Here in Avon, NY is a remnant of the Rochester & Genesee Valley, the Erie
branch which went to Mt. Morris.  It is now only about 1/2 - 3/4 mile long
and is basically a long spur which serves the Kraft "Cool Whip" plant in
Avon.  I believe in EL days it was Bird's Eye.

Another "minor" branch, was the long spur in Gowanda, NY that served a fuel
distributor, Peter Cooper Glue and Moench Tanning.  I estimate it was about
1 mile - 1 1/2 miles long and had numerous sidings going into both plants.
Modeling this spur would make a neat little switching layout.

The remnant of the Erie Rochester Branch in Cohocton, NY might qualify as a
minor branch.  When the Erie line was abandoned in favor of the parallel
Lackawanna main at the time of the merger, it appears that a connection was
made to the segment of the Erie that crossed Route 15 (now Route 415) so
customers on the east side of the Cohocton River (which is a small creek at
this point) could still be served.  The track is about 1 mile long and still
exists.  It served serveral customers, including Birkett Mills.

In Jamestown, NY the Erie assumed operation of a small "branch" which was
all that remained of the Jamestown, Westfield, and Northwestern.  It was at
least 2-3 miles long and went up the north bank of the Chadakoin River
towards Fluvanna.  I have seen it on maps but don't know what businesses it
served.

Dave Green
ELHS #1366

End of EL List Daily V3 #1925