RE: (erielack) DL&W and ERIE "minor" branches

 Jon Scaptura

> North Street in Endicott was rebuilt recently, and I noticed
> some rails that had been paved over were removed near the
> intersection of North Street and Mechanic ave. It looks as
> though the siding came off the Erie main and went into the
> now vacant lot bordered by North, Vestal, Central and
> Mechanic Streets. I remember there used to be a large complex
> of buildings there.
> Does anyone remember what was there and what types of loads
> went in and out of it? How was that crossing protected?

Man, this taxes the memory, but when I was a kid (like 1958 or so) my parents had friends who lived
in that part of town, and I vaguely recall something like a valve factory??????  Brass????
Foundry????

The man of the couple we were friends with was a model railroader.  He was my first exposure to HO;
I had had Lionel before that.  He was scratchbuilding steam in brass - beautiful work.  Later he
gave those to his nephews (he had no kids) who used them as push toys.  I was SOOO crushed.

SGL