RE: (erielack) DL&W and ERIE "minor" branches

 Russell Hallock:

> There was an Erie branch of about 1 1/2 miles on the west
> side of Newburgh, NY.  It went to the DuPont factory but also
> served lumber and coal yards and a clothing factory.  When it
> was opened in 1914, the city had been trying to get the RR to
> build it for several years.  The opening was celebrated by
> passenger excursions for the public all day, the only time as
> far as I know that passenger trains used it.  Most of it was
> out of service by the mid 1970's, but about 1/2 mile of track
> is still there, crossing route 32, but out of service.
>    There was also a track which connected the Erie and DL&W
> in Johnson City, NY. I think it served some of the E-J shoe
> factories and ran through the city streets.  I don't know who
> owned the track.

The ERIE owned most, but not all, of that track.

>   Also on the north side of Hornell there was about a mile
> long spur running east from the Buffalo line, south of and
> parallel to the Canisteo River.  I think it was a remnant of
> the PS&N.  At the corner of Seneca and Adsit Streets there
> was a scrap yard which always had some gondolas being loaded.
> One of the real scenic delights of Hornell.  I guess it was
> torn out in the 1980's.

I went through Hornell sometime in the early 80's and there was the door, and parts of a cab, for an
EL unit.  Sunday, of course, and I wasn't about to challenge the dog, but if they'd been open, I'd
have that door.  Tried some to call them the next week, but it didn't come togther . . .

SGL