(erielack) "What If" 2006

We've often discussed "What If" DLW joined NKP and others, and Erie went it's
own way, perhaps with Santa Fe.

Looking at the various railroads, i.e., short lines, regional players (NYSW
for example) who currently operate on the EL system, I'm curious to see if
anyone can take the existing aforementioned and put together a system that would
replicate EL in some form, but using who and what exists in 2006.

Total fantasy? Sure. Just curious to see who can put together a unified
system of those who currently operate on EL rails or who can unify portions of EL.

What would you do "if" you had the chance to pull the current lines together?
Would you make it what EL was (NJ to IL) or would you unify and operate
portions of the system separately?

By the way, you don't have to include commuter operations, the states will
take care of that, but you should include intercity passenger service as if
Amtrak didn't exist. How and where would you interchange? And how do you think you
could compete (as some short lines and regionals do successfully) with the
majors.

Rick