Re: (erielack) Fwd: [ErieLackawannaRR] Re: SNAGGED PANTOGRAPH DISRUPTS ERIE-LACKAWANNA SERVI...

Lister:

  When I mentioned a pick before here is some clarification.

  It was when someone opened the cabinet that contained the rod locking mechanism in an interlocking machine.  This could be done on an (EP) Electro Pneumatic interlocking machines (which was the system used in Terminal Tower, Grove Street, West End, Newark, Roseville Ave, (old Orange on the DL&W) Summit, Denville and Port Morris.  Dover used the old armstrong levers but they were only thrown to make an electrical contact to move electric switches.  South Orange was mechanical I believe and I'm not sure about Montclair.  Others will have to advise us on those towers. I'm assuming Kearny Jct was EP but I may be wrong there.  The lower Hackensack Drawbridge operator had an EP machine for derails and lift rails on the bridge.

  Anyway back to what happened with train 629 at Hoboken.... Noah Caplin was working as one of the levermen in Terminal Tower that night.  There were several moves that required a pick everynight on 2nd trick.  Most times the signal maintainer would do it (either way it is an illegal function being performed because it compromises or overrides the safety factor).  Usually the maintainer would ask if the train was clear of such and such a switch (you new this when the light came back on on the switch number below the lever.  When a train occupied the circuit the light would go dark so you knew a train was in the circuit) when the leverman reported the train was clear the maintainer took a metal piece of wire with a hook on the end of it and a magnet I believe, stuck it into where the interlocking rods were in tha back of the machine. He would then lift the rod allowing the interlocking to be disabled and the leverman could then throw the switch.  It worked great when everything was
 going smoothly.

  Apparently there was no maintainer available for whatever reason, when the leverman needed to get the switch to be thrown in the opposite direction (either normal or reverse) so he could line up for the next move meaning the next train to depart the terminal.

  Well Noah goes back there and makes the pick and 629 is actually still in the circuit and he throws the switch the opposite direction, right under 629.  The one pair of trucks went up one track and the second pair of trucks on a car went up another track and derailed the train, which in turn pulled down the catenary structure and all wires over all electrificed tracks in the terminal throat switches and terminal tracks.

  Nothing could move....what a disaster.  This blocked any train that was  to leave Hoboken after 5:30 pm (that's when 629 left) That meant all Mainline trains, Bergen County, Boonton line trains, NJ&NY trains.

  Hope that clarifies everything.

  Rich Pennisi

Richard Pennisi <eldispatcher72_@_yahoo.com> wrote:
  I can think of two other times that outstip this one.

One was when train 629 derailed on a slip switch that one of the towerman picked (illegal function) by himself in the back of the machine at Terminal Tower. Train 629 derailed and tore down THE MAIN CATENARY sturcture for Hoboken Terminal. This was the first time a steel catenary structure ever came down on the DL&W or EL.

The other comparable time was when 629 again (could have been 631) tore down the wire on track one at the old Orange Crossovers east of the tower. This occurred on New Years Eve 1969. All three tracks were affected and nothing ran at all period. This happened about 6:00 or 6:15 pm. Commuters didn't get home until after midnight and missed all of their New Years Eve parties. Talk about stuff flying the next morning against EL operations by commuters!!!!!!!

Rich Pennisi

STEVEZ10_@_aol.com wrote:

To: ErieLackawannaRR_@_yahoogroups.com, CommuterRail@yahoogroups.com,
hudsonriverraillines_@_yahoogroups.com,