RE: (erielack) DL&W and ERIE "minor" branches

In the 30+ years I can remember going over the Rt. 46 grade crossing in
Totowa, it's only been crossbucks and lights.  I don't believe that there
ever were gates.  Regarding other minor branches, the myriad coal mine
branches would qualify, of course, although that's been widely discussed
here in the past.  But what about other, for example, mineral braches
(iron)?  I'm not sure what the length of the Montrose Branch was on the
DL&W.  I want to say that it was in the 5-10 (??) mile range in length.

Chuck

                      Michael Sheehy
                      <njnyrr_@_optonline.n
                      et>                 To:     erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
                      Sent by:            cc:
                      erielack-owner_@_list Subject:
                      s.elhts.org                 RE: (erielack) DL&W and ERIE "minor" branches

                      02/09/2006 11:59 AM
                      Please respond to
                      Michael Sheehy

Well the Erie in Rockland County, NY took over the Garnerville Industrial
RR
(.7 mi) off the NJ & NY, and also had the Hospital Branch off the Piermont
(> 1 mi.) to Rockland State Hospital's power plant.

I've crossed over the Water Branch on 46 many times, and find it hard to
imagine a train stopping traffic on that road.  Of course 25 years ago,
traffic might not have been as heavy.  Were there ever gates there that
were
later removed?  I just remember lights and crossbucks.