Re: (erielack) Charles Walsh, Where do you work a John

I found this exchange on the STUMPERS-L archives:

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:31:55 -0500
From: Broome County Public Library <bcpl_@_spectra.net>
To:   East Brunswick Public Library <ebplref_@_injersey.com>,
Subject: Re: Railroad Song-Delaware Lackawanna
- -- [ From: Broome County Public Library * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Mary,
    When I was a little girl my grandmother had a 78rpm recording of this
song, which began
"Where do you work - a  John? On the Delaware Lackawan... etc. The only
stanzas I can recall
are the ones with John and Marie at the telephone company.  However, I've
seen some movies
set during the forties, that have some of the big bands of that era singing
this song. I'll check
further tomorrow.
Hth,
Pat Przybylski