RE: (erielack) Freight Operations (Classic Trains/Hoboken)

Chuck Walsh asked:

> I'm wondering how long a train would HB-1 or HB-3 typically
> be?  And how
> long it would take tor them cross over the plant at Hoboken
> and get out of
> the way?

Not sure about the length (though most photos I've seen show the trains to be at least 50 cars). I was talking with Rich Pennisi the other night about this, and he explained that the train crossed over to the appropriate line at West End, and that the move across that interlocking was never an issue since trains only went through it at about 10 MPH. He couldn't recall ANY Hoboken-originating freight train ever fouling up that interlocking and the commuter trains that used it. Just luck? Who knows! :)