Re: (erielack) Freight Operations (Classic Trains/Hoboken)

I'm wondering how long a train would HB-1 or HB-3 typically be?  And how
long it would take tor them cross over the plant at Hoboken and get out of
the way?

                      "Paul Brezicki"
                      <doctorpb_@_bellsouth
                      Sent by:                    "Paul R. Tupaczewski" <paultup_@_optonline.net>
                      erielack-owner_@_list cc:
                      s.elhts.org         Subject:
                                                  (erielack) Freight Operations (Classic Trains/Hoboken)

                      02/02/2006 05:09 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "Paul Brezicki"

I don't have a DL&W schedule but the July 1962 EL schedule shows two WB's
out of Hoboken: HB-1 and HB-3 for Buffalo departing 6:15pm and 8:30pm,
after
the bulk of commuter runs. In general for EL and predecessors, freight
traffic available for mid- to late-afternoon departure was held until after
the commuter rush.

Paul B

I have a photo in my collection showing EL train HB-1 departing the yard,
and heading west on the southmost track. My guess would be that the whole
thing was crossed over to the Boonton Branch (by then, Boonton Line) at
West
End Interlocking. My other assumption was that freights usually ran during
passenger "lulls" (very late at night or late morning-to-early afternoon).
seem to remember reading that most DL&W freights out of Hoboken were
nocturnal, which would have taken care of the issue of conflicting with
passenger trains.

- - Paul