RE: (erielack) Freight operations (Classic Trains/ Hoboken)

All,

  That would be coming out track 4 and yes it did crossover at West End and out the Boonton Line or up the Erie side whichever way it was operating at the time of the photo.

  Rich Pennisi

"Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_lucent.com> wrote:
  > From looking at the photo, the one thing that strikes me is
> the size of the
> freight yard, and I wonder how the DL&W (and to a lesser
> extent the EL)
> managed to get the freights across the plant to the Boonton
> Branch without
> disrupting service. Had the freight yard been on the north
> side of the
> terminal or the Boonton Branch on the south side at West End
> it would have
> been a piece of cake. But where the Hoboken/Jersey City yard
> was located
> must have been a colossal operational headache.

I have a photo in my collection showing EL train HB-1 departing the yard, and heading west on the southmost track. My guess would be that the whole thing was crossed over to the Boonton Branch (by then, Boonton Line) at West End Interlocking. My other assumption was that freights usually ran during passenger "lulls" (very late at night or late morning-to-early afternoon). I seem to remember reading that most DL&W freights out of Hoboken were nocturnal, which would have taken care of the issue of conflicting with passenger trains.

- - Paul

Do you Yahoo!?