Re: (erielack) Marine operations (was: Classic Trains/ Hoboken)

Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul) wrote:

>Ralph Heiss wrote:
>

>>  Actually Paul, I'm surprised that nobody chimed in until
>>now about this, because I have had this magazine for about a
>>week now, and the picture REALLY has me wondering - Why the
>>HECK are there carfloats tied up in the ferry slips?  Sure,
>>just because there were no ferryboats to get in the way, it
>>still makes me wonder why they would tie them up in the
>>slips, because by 1970 there wasn't much marine activity
>>going on, but by the number of covered barges in the photo,
>>that seems to be not the case. Maybe a brief upswing in
>>business? There also seem to be too many tugboats in the
>>photo for them to be all EL, again in the post-70 period,
>>unless they are not all railroad owned. Any ideas anyone?
>>

>Ralph Heiss wrote
>
>You know, I was wondering the same thing myself. It seems odd that they stored the floats - WITH CARS ON THEM! - right in the mouth of the ferry slips. Umm, isn't that a hazard to river navigation? They are jutting out into the river at that point with nothing really to protect them.

The car floats are within the Pier Head line.  They are probably waiting
there for a while until they can be delivered to the final destination pier.

>You'd think they'd shove these down the long slip, just to get them out of the river? Or at least tie them up alongside a pier? Looks like the carfloats are just barely attached to the slips. One nice storm and bye-bye go your floats!

There isn't enough room for the car float and the tug to get down the
long slip with the other equipemnt in there.

The day was 15 Jun 1970.  The water was almost calm.  You can see the
hawser holding the end of the empty car float to the slip side.

>The tugs to the left of the terminal are definitely EL - this is where they usually sat when not in service. As for the ones to the right, that's a good question - wasn't Holland American Lines' piers there? Could these be their tugs?

No steamship company had their own tugs.  Mostly they used Moran.  The
pier belonged to the PSNYNJ and was rented to American Export Lines.

The tugs North of the terminal may have to Moran or some other towing
company and he slip was used as a dispatching point.

bob gillis