(erielack) Marine Operations

By 1970 I would think EL marine operations consisted of carfloats to 28th St
Manhattan, the LI at LI City, and the three Brooklyn shortlines BEDT, Bush
Terminal and NY Dock. 149th St in the Bronx was closed by then. Were they
still using the barges and scows?

Paul B

Two more observations - I counted 20 coverd barges, 15 open scows, 2 pile
drivers, 7 carfloats, and the heavy lift (crane) barge (ex-Erie #5 I think).
It seems like a lot of equipment, and I'm sure it may not all be EL owned.
Any fellow marine fans out there have an EL equpiment roster to compare
numbers to? Also, just below the number 14, appear to me to be two large
smokestacks, which I think must be ferryboats. Were there any boats still
layed up in Hoboken at this time?

- - - Ralph H.