(erielack) Bridge 60

I think that "Bridge 60" is and engineering file number and has nothing to do
with distance or operating rules.

I work as a vounteer at the Colorado Railroad Museum and we have many D&RGW
bridge records. These include inspection reports, shear and moment diagrams for
various classes of locomotives when on the bridge, etc. These records were
meticulously maintained.

While I can't lay my hands on the old emplyee times tables I have (or had?),
I don't think there is any references in them to bridges by number.

As a teenager I spent many hours in the East End Tower where there was a
telephone party line with a loudspeaker that connected the tower on bridge 60,
Cayuga Tower, Mattes St Tower and East End.  The towermen all talked to each on
this line and there was continous chatter about train movements. Don't ever
recall hearing "Bridge 60" reference.

Somewhere along the line I think the railfan community found this designation
and ever after it became common reference, despite my doubts that railroad
crews and operating procudes did not use it.

But with my lack of reference materials these days I also can't really prove
where the current designation came from.

Chuck Yungkurth
Boulder CO