(erielack) CNJ\EL pool trains, New connection?

I have another question dealing with these run through trains.

I have a John Durant photo on my desktop of the "New Connection" where it
meets the EL main. The photographer is facing east. There is a westbound EL
train on the East bound track stopped right near the top of the new ramp.
There is a second WB train on the ramp with both CNJ and EL power. The dwarf
signals at the top of new connection ramp are covered in burlap bags and the
dirt near the ramp is freshly turned so, This must have been from the time
new connection was first built.

Here's my question. Between the EB EL track and the new connection ramp
there is a white sign with a "C" cut out of it. In the pic, the "C" is
backwards so, The only way to see this sign properly is if a WB EL train is
running on the EB track (the sign would be on the left hand side) Or a train
coming up the new ramp (in this case the sign is on the right) What does
this sign mean? Was it for trains on the EL main or the new connection?

If you do a Yahoo image search for EL3647, You can get a thumbnail of the
pic I'm talking about. I can not find a full size image online any more.

Thanks,
MDC