From: "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_lucent.com>
To: <Dlw1el2_@_aol.com>; <doctorpb@bellsouth.net>;
<erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 11:06 AM
Subject: RE: (erielack) Operations of CNJ-EL SE-98/ES-99 (and power)

> > Questions for Bob: did the SE/ES trains generally carry
> > intermodal, and  if
> > so, was it all containers or was there some trailer traffic
> > as well?  Also,
> > did CNJ preblock ES-99 for Bison, Meadville and Marion, or
> > did EL  have to
> > completely reclassify this train at  Scranton?
> >
> > Paul
> > I don't ever remember any intermodal traffic on 99/98.
> > The blocking I can't answer.  Sorry.
> >
> > Bob
>

> Looking through all my photos (I have 65 shots of ES-99 and SE-98, spread
out between 1972 and 1976):

> I have several shots that show one or two 89' flats with two trailers a
piece on them near the head of a train; another shot shows at least six
piggyback cars head out, fully loaded. Based on the dates of the photos, it
looks like whatever piggyback traffic was left from the short-lived
NE-100/NE-99 piggyback runthroughs was put on the SE/ES trains.   Another
thing I notice is that a lot of the trains tended to have CNJ (or LNE!)
covered hoppers - in both directions.

> The ilmenite cars Bob spoke of usually were a group of about 7-8 D&H cars
(see http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/dh/dh-hk223agd.jpg for a photo of one)
tacked on to the front or back of a train (I assume for easy setout).

> Also looking through the photos - the VAST majority of the trains used
SD45s-and-variants and U33C/U36C for motive power. Other EL motive power
appeared on a very infrequent basis - I only have a photo of EL 2585 on an
ES-99, but SE-98 seemed to have some more "junk" power on there - F-units,
Alco Centurys and GP7s have all appeared on the eastbound run. Could that be
because they often got pushed out of Scranton, and the rest of the run was
almost all downhill after you topped the Poconos? And the big six-axle power
was needed for the westbounds to make it to Pocono Summit without pushers?