(erielack) Ilmenite

My Google search revealed the following:
Ilmenite: as well as main source of Titanium, also used as flux in blast
furnaces and as an abrasive.
Titanium: steel-strengthening alloy
Titanium dioxide: white pigment (main use of titanium).

Since the North Creek branch appears to have been abandoned at least a dozen
yrs ago, I presume the ilmenite is trucked to a loadout at Whitehall or
someplace.

Paul B

The yellow D&H high-side 2-bay hopper cars were used for ilmenite (iron
titanium oxide) ore loading, I believe (that's what was mined at North
Creek, NY on the D&H). Essentially, it's the most common form of obtainable
titanium out there. I assume it can be used to strengthen steel, but I'll
leave this up to a metallurgist to answer. :)