Re: (erielack) The end is near for the ex EL/NJDOT Comet I's

Al,

What's the problem with the Comet Vs?  I work with someone who had to be
off-loaded to a rescue train from a westbound Midtown Direct near
Morristown in the dead of night a few weeks ago.  Lights flickering, with
electrical burning smell.  Never got the full story from the crew.  Comet V
problem??

Chuck

                      DLW1155_@_aol.com
                      Sent by:
                      erielack-owner_@_list To:     STEVEZ10@aol.com
                      s.elhts.org                 erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
                                                  erielack_@_railfan.net
                                                  Newjerseytransit_@_yahoogroups.com
                      10/24/2005 08:47 PM cc:
                      Please respond to   Subject:
                      DLW1155                     Re: (erielack) The end is near for the ex EL/NJDOT Comet I's

The end is coming sooner than you think. According to the Car Inspector who

does the temperature checks on my trains they were all due to be withdrawn
from
service last month but were given a six week extension by the FRA due to
the
ongoing problems with the Comet V's. Look for them to be gone by the end of

November as it stands now. Any car that suffers a failure or comes due for
inspection is being mothballed in B Yard which is why you see so many of
them
there. Everything depends on the availability of a sufficient number of
Comet V's.
Alstohm is still doing warrantee modifications and repairs to them in Port
Morris. The new doubledeckers aren't the replacements for the C-I's.

Besides being non-ADA compliant, the C-I's do not meet the new
federally-imposed crash standards, not even close. The are also all 30+
years old and
showing it badly. I won't miss those hemmoroid-causing Engineers seats but
I'll sure
miss that great PS-68 brake valve. Best darn automatic brake valve I've
ever
handled.

Al Holleuffer