Re: (erielack) P&D History

Palmer, Brian wrote:

>List discussion:
>
>"They also envisioned building east from Summit to the New York waterfront
>and some work was done; supposedly grading east of Summit is still visible
>but I've never been able to identify it."
>

>The graded embankment is still very visible along the back yards of Bedford
>avenue homes between Morris Ave and Woodland Ave in Summit. I also remember
>reading an account of the building of Summit High school many years ago that
>the property for the new school contained the unused railroad grade, of
>course the property was completely bulldozed for the school. I'm not
>familiar with the alignment east of Summit.

I remember reading tha the P&D crossed over the M&E west of the Summit
station.  I also read in a history of Hillside that it was graded
through that town.   It also crosed the Morris and Essex Turnpike. the
bridge abutments were still visible 50 years. ago.  I guess ir ran
through Millburn and the Vuaxhall section of Union.

I don't think the Swamp Line had anything to do with the P&D, having ben
constructied in the early 1900s.

bob gillis

There is/was a Conrail Branch in Hillside. Perhaps that was the eastern
end of the P&D.