Re: (erielack) Group discusses past and future of Lackawanna Cutoff

In a message dated 10/19/2005 2:42:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
root_@_net.bluemoon.net writes:
Group discusses past and future of Lackawanna Cutoff

Wednesday, October 19, 2005
By JACLYN KOSAKOWSKI

Herald Staff Writer

Many have mixed feelings about putting the line back in operation. While some
residents hope the railroad is rebuilt, others fear a lack of passenger
interest will lead it to become a freight-only line.

Not true, the purpose for rebuilding it is for passenger trains traveling
from Scranton to Hoboken..Lots of people who live in the Poconos will commute to
their jobs in and around the Morristown area...

Built between 1909 and 1912, the Lackawanna Cutoff stopped at Blairstown,
Johnsonburg and Greendell. It cut right through the mountains and created a
straighter path than the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western, or DL&W lines.

More wrong facts that need to be changed...The Cutoff openend in 1911... I
was still being built in 1909...

"

"We were all at the station when the last train went through," Esenlohr said
about the last Phoebe Snow train in 1970. "We put pennies on the track."

This was the Lake Cities train that ended in 1970.....The Phoebe Snow ended
in 1966..

Esenlohr and Swinson believe that if the government were to rebuild the line,
there would not be enough interest to make it a passenger train. Most of the
people who would get on here work around Morristown and once they get there,
they have no transportation to get to their businesses, Esenlor said.

"Its purpose would be to take trucks off the highway," she said.

Its purpose is NOT to take trucks off the highways!! The purpose is for
people to stop taking their cars to work.... Lots of misinterpretations and
falsified rumors go with this article...I wish editors/writers would do more research
before writing articles of this nature.......

Steve

Check out myspace page!!!
http://www.myspace.com/638985