RE: (erielack) Re: Youngstown Steel Door (YSD Industries) to close

Walter
The Y&A never was an electric railway.  It came into the Erie (Cleveland &
Mahoning Valley Ry) family in the 1870's and originally reached a little
further south to coal mines.  It was effectively dormant from about 1900
until c. 1920 when the line was rehabilitated (and somewhat realigned in
places) primarily to serve the new Youngstown Steel Door plant and a general
area industrial development focus--we think of it as America's first
Industrial Park.  The crossing of the B&O at Yanda (as the B&O called it) is
unique in that the Erie (Y&A) is senior.  The B&O at that location is the
second B&O main line alignment through the Mahoning Valley.  The Y&A died a
second time under Conrail, no surprise, and was saved by being sold to the
Economic Development Rail Corporation, a subsidiary of the Mahoning Valley
Economic Development Corporation.  ERDC (MVEDC) contracted with the
Youngstown & Austintown Railroad, Incorporated (an affiliate of the Ohio
Central Railroad System) to operate the line which the Y&A has been doing
since the 1980's.  Since being freed from Conrail the line's physical plant
has been much improved and new patrons developed.  C. 1990 a one stall
engine house was built and connected to the Erie RR-era yard office though
the crew that serves the line now usually comes out of the OCRS's facilities
nerar Center Street.
       The infamous Yanda crossing was included in the Dispatcher CTC
control and now the route is lined up from Jacksonville.  That was done when
the B&O Interlocking at Ohio Works was closed in the mid-1990's.
       The Y&A has come from the grave twice and with a light but
diversified traffic base shiould survive the YSD closing.
MJC