(erielack) Shop talk

I had a question about shopping steam power, here’s a photo from today’s digest. It’s an Erie 2-8-2 that looks like it was recently shopped at the Erie roundhouse at Avoca Pa. As you can see it’s been nicely trimmed in white paint (some, like Lackawanna used silver paint I think). My question is what was used on the running gear in the photo? Is this just a “chalk” to look for damage or fractures? What class of shopping was done at Avoca that would out shop a locomotive in this condition? I’m guessing Avoca performed this work since a second engine in the background got the same fresh treatment.

Here's the 3138

http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?october05/10-13-05/erie3138.jpg

  Also I never noticed that some Erie 2-8-2’s got some unorthodox steps on their pilots. Some of them had this odd walkway to get up along the boiler from the pilot on the fireman’s side. You had to walkup at a right angle? Is there anything under that "boxlike" structure on the pilot that caused this sidestep design? I don’t recall any other railroad using this kind of step.

Here's the 3143

http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?october05/10-13-05/erie3143.jpg

Todd ~