(erielack) Erie fruit traffic Jersey City

Good info, I haven't seen much on Erie produce handled on the Jersey side.
For those of you not familiar with the float facilities, Duane St Sta was
the Lower West Side terminal (near Washington Sq) occupying piers 20 and 21
which handled most of Erie's NY perishable business. It had no trackage;
cars were unloaded directly on the floats and the produce taken by
hand-truck to the auction warehouse. These floats had a covered, elevated
platform flanked by a track on each side, and I believe were unique to NY
harbor.

By contrast, Erie's 28th St Terminal (covered in recent Diamonds) was an
"Inland Station" with trackage accessed from pier 67, and was mostly for
LCL.

Paul B

page 28, Croxton yard.  capacity 5600 cars.
"California fruit for Duane St. Station on arrival at Croxton is classified
into F- Yard (Eastbound holding yard) where it is held until ordered by
consignees.  Orders for this fruit are received in the afternoon and cars
are then switched out and grouped together in accordance with order after
which they are moved to Jersey City and floated to Duane St. for the market
for which ordered."